Sunday, February 13, 2005

Here We Go

Inevitably, someone will ask why I decided to start a blog. Why would someone opt to indulge in yet another task that is bound to be demanding of an already strained schedule? Well, there are several reasons.

In the world of the PhD and higher learning in general, the term “publish or perish” has been thrown about much to the chagrin of those forced to do the publishing. In software development, I’m noticing a trend that successful programmers (and indeed, other techies) share their knowledge with the world in the form of blogs. Not one to let a trend pass me by, I’ve decided to get with the proverbial program, and in the process get in my two cents on programming and other fascinating topics.

Another thing that comes to mind is that some skills are perishable. If you don’t continue to use exercise these skills, you’ll lose them. I contend that writing is one such skill, and having recently completed my Master’s Degree (in Internet Security, for those who are curious), I’m faced with the fact that my writing skills may wane without an active reason to write something for an audience each week. By having a blog, I hope to keep my writing skills honed.

These things considered, please be gentle with your comments because I am new to this. I hope you’ll enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy writing it. If you don't, there is always this site to amuse you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahaha! Oh no you didn't provide 'this site' to amuse. When I saw the site, I immediately said, "Oh my goodness," then started laughing wildly. Anyway, I'm not even sure what a 'Blog' is. Could you elaborate?

Ed said...

Part of the risk of stepping somewhat into the public light is that there will inevitably be hecklers, so comments like this really come as no surprise. I am curious, though, as to why you are so amused by this particular blog.

On that note, the term “blog” is short for “Web log”. WikiPedia does a great job of defining a blog as follows:

A weblog, web log or simply a blog, is a web application which contains periodic posts on a common webpage. These posts are often but not necessarily in reverse chronological order. Such a website would typically be accessible to any Internet user. The term "blog" came into common use as a way of avoiding confusion with the term server log.I hope that both clears things up and amuses you. I aim to please.

Ed